This week’s guest is Dov Baron, the man with a finger on the pulse of the evolving world of NextGen leadership. He has been speaking internationally for over 30 years, is one of Inc. Magazine’s Top 100 Leadership Speakers to hire, and is considered by many as the leading authority on Authentic Leadership. Dov is also a bestselling author of several books. His latest book is Fiercely Loyal; How High Performing Companies Develop and Retain Top Talent. He also writes for and has been featured in many industry magazines including being featured on CNN, CBS Small Business Pulse, SHRM, Yahoo Finance, Boston Globe, Business in Vancouver, USA today, CEO, Entrepreneur and many more.
This episode tackles the importance of building your legacy and how its lasting impact defines great leadership; Why women used to be considered ineffective leaders (of course now we know it’s far from the truth); How Leadership is evolving; And a quite provoking point (I suggest you listen in before this freak you out) — Find out why Dov considers Nelson Mandela a failed leader. This will hit home once you realized why. Plus, a bonus: Dov shares an exercise on building a legacy which he does with clients that will confront the way you see yourself and the way you would want others to see you.
I apologize if the audio for this episode is kinda whacked. We had some audio issue during the recording, but I thought I’d go ahead and have this gold released rather than not. It’s too good not to share.
- Within each of us inherently lies a deep greatness. This greatness is the wholeness in us. The original premise of being a human being. We spend our lives thinking that something we can have or do will complete us when we have been complete all along.
- There’s nothing to add but everything to take away.
- The leadership of today is evolving into a non-egoic leadership. It is a leadership that is soulful, collaborative and inclusive.
- Individuals of working organizations are no longer willing to be led by dictatorial leaders anymore.
- With all the war talks emerging, we see a reaction to the universal concept of polarity or extremes. At the moment, there is a natural tendency to find a middle ground to avoid swimming from one side to the other. Polarity makes us confront the things that we have been neglectful and complacent.
- Most multi-generational family business fail as result of losing the connection with the original intention of what the business was.
- There’s no succession plan beyond the financial intention when they should have created a Values and Purpose Driven succession plans.
- We create a lasting and impactful legacy when learn to transcend the personality and the way we do that is to become empowered with our service.
Listen to this episode on iTunes:
Listen to this episode on Stitcher:
Download the audio file:
This podcast is brought to you by: The Entrepreneur Elders Group
THE WORLD’S MOST CONTROVERSIAL INFLUENCERS, IN AN UNEARTHING BUSINESS MASTERMIND EXPERIENCE..
An experiential mastermind to find your entrepreneurial edge, through adventure challenges with peers that will take you through the layers of reality as you know them.
Find out more here: http://thejeffreyslaytershow.com/apply-to-eeg
DISCOVERY OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments!
Time-Stamped Show Notes
[00:38] Who is Dov Baron?
[00:35] Dov’s approach to leadership – finding that Deep Greatness within you and why he thinks its what we’ve all been searching for
[02:53] Dov uses an interesting metaphor to describe what Deep Greatness is like.
[05:02] Dov’s realization on why we keep looking for something when we’re not missing anything in the first place
[05:19] The backbone of Dov’s work on leadership building
[05:43] We have always been whole and complete
[06:27] Dov’s view on how leadership is evolving today
[07:22] Why women were used to be considered ineffective as leaders, and why it’s now proven wrong.
[08:59] Dov’s view on the polarity in Leadership and why it’s related to all the crazy stuff that’s happening in the world right now
[10:56] Why Dov considers the phenomenal Nelson Mandela, a failed leader
[11:43] Why Dov’s credits Donald Trump for pushing people out of complacency
[13:13] Dov’s interesting angle on how to measure an effective leadership and why most family businesses fail. (TAKE NOTE OF THIS)
[15:08] What is your Legacy and how do you measure it? (Dov shares a personal story here to express how he measured his legacy and how it transformed his life.)
[17:51] Being measured without a name but by what’s left behind
[20:01] A sense of urgency within leaders
[20:23] Embrace your magnificent rage, embrace that beast within you
[21:16] A deeper definition of True Greatness
[24:14] Dov shares a revealing and confronting exercise he does with his clients to trigger the shift within them from a state of complacency to actioning on their legacy. (Get your paper and pen ready.)
[29:14] Why we shouldn’t run away from having fierce conversations
[30:41] A bit on what Dov’s writing now – Dealing with impostor syndrome and accessing your deep greatness
[31:58] How to get in touch with Dov
[32:19] LAST NOTE – DOV wants an email from YOU