This week’s episode focuses on managing your fear. You may hear me talk about something seemingly basic yet what you may not know, is how you can make the most of this to redefine your relationship with your fear.
Getting real with this fundamental practice has helped me face my fears. And if you’ve been following me for some time now, you’d know that somehow, I’ve always managed to plant myself in crazy situations where I am face to face with what I fear most!
- Leaders have been led to believe that they are scared of failure when the truth is, leaders are often scared of success.The most important tool as a leader is to is to be with your breath.
- Take a breath at that moment of fear to calm your brain. Breathing helps it settle down and adjusts your neurology into letting the rest of you know that you are safe. Safe to be yourself and safe to action on what you are supposed to do.
- When nothing is being said, we think we need to fill the gap with words. When it is oftentimes in silence that a message becomes more powerful.
- If Public Speaking is a challenge to you, try the Three Second Rule where you spend 3 seconds making eye contact with one person as you breathe and then move on to the next person and so on. It’s like having a one on one conversation as opposed to the reality of being in a roomful of people which can usually intimidate and overwhelm a speaker.
- Breathing is most helpful in chaotic situations where the shock of an event often leaves you frozen and unmoving. Follow the rule of chaos where you intentionally take four breaths, and it will help you unfreeze and resume mobility.
Listen to this episode on iTunes:
Listen to this episode on Stitcher:
Download the audio file:
This podcast is brought to you by: The Entrepreneur Elders Group
THE WORLD’S MOST CONTROVERSIAL INFLUENCERS, IN AN UNEARTHING BUSINESS MASTERMIND EXPERIENCE..
An experiential mastermind to find your entrepreneurial edge, through adventure challenges with peers that will take you through the layers of reality as you know them.
Find out more here: http://thejeffreyslaytershow.com/apply-to-eeg
DISCOVERY OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments!
Time-Stamped Show Notes
[00:08] Wasting Opportunities
[00:17] Biggest fear of leaders
[09:29] What you’ve been wrongly led to believe all this time
[01:08] How to cope with your fears
[01:45] Your breath as your most powerful tool
[02:26] Breathing + The 3 second rule of dealing with fear in public speaking
[05:16] Most leaders fear silence
[06:10] Practices that I suggest to help you cope with your fear